SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

looking for a used wind vane any help

5K views 18 replies 14 participants last post by  jeffr-here 
#1 ·
I am looking for a used wind vane any one got one for sail

#6 ·
Southwinds is styled after Latitude 38 and covers the Gulf Coast and SE U.S. There''s a similar rag, also inspired by Lat 38, directed at the Chesapeake. Don''t forget Latitude 48; isn''t that the rag up in the Pac NW? All these have classified sections, on-line web presence, etc.

I''d recommend the following add''l sources of used gear:
1. Used gear vendors like Bacon''s (Annapolis), Sailorman (Ft. Lauderdale), etc.
2. Local outfitters/vendors who come across used equipment on occasion and horde it for a hoped-for windfall some day; call around your homw area a bit and let your fingers do the walking
3. www.ssca.org, their classified section; consider joining (anyone who wants a windvane would surely value the info they provide!) and posting a ''wanted'' ad

While there seem to be a bazillion Monitor vanes out there, used Sailomat 3040 rudder/vane units are superb and can be reconditioned by Sailomat (Stellan Knoos in San Diego area), and the French Navik units are extraoridarily well thought of by small boat owners. In addition, Leslie Powels has done three circles, all singlehanded, on a 34'' sloop he built himself and he used a Hydrovane rudder/vane unit thru-out all of them. He carried no autopilot and hates to steer...so he doesn''t!

Jack

#12 ·
manufactured in UK (old) or Holland (new)? I bought my Aries in Buenos Aires from a consignment shop and could not be happier. some questioned whether it could handle a boat that size but it performed flawlessly in 50+ kt winds. someone jump on this!

#13 ·
It's a mechanical WIND VANE for self steering..

A Windex is an arrow vane to show wind direction and is totally static. Think of the old folks on the homestead with the barn. They look up and say - it's blowing from behind (aft) or over my shoulder (leeward or windward).

An anemometer is an electronic device that measures where the wind is coming from, it's speed, direction, and requires a display unit for you to understand what you are experiencing when the SH hits the boat.

#17 ·
Yes, I still have it, I am planning on selling the vane this week as I have
had several responses. Current offer is at $825. My ad states that it needs
to be rebuilt, but after looking closer at it this past weekend, the bearings
are not seized, and possibly it has been rebuilt already. The only thing I
found that is frozen is the universal for moving the rudder up out of the
water, and that appears to be an easy fix with a few taps from a piece of wood
I think it would free up. I have mounting hardware also

Jeff

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.