SailNet Community - View Single Post - Clogged Exhaust or Mixing Elbow: Clean or Replace?
View Single Post
Old 07-16-2008

JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by oft View Post
The topic of soot build-up in the exhaust elbow and/or mixing elbow has been mentioned several times, but I wondered what the general wisdom was about cleaning vs. replacement. Can these items be cleaned when they get clogged or should they just be replaced? If they can be cleaned, are there any tricks? Thanks for any advice.
I was told by a trusted mechanic that they can be easily cleaned. I don't have my notes with me, but he suggested removing then soaking the elbow overnight in a commonly available acid who's name escapes me, but which is available at most hardware stores (muriatic acid, perhaps, possibly oxalic acid?). Hopefully somebody here will know which. I wouldn't recommend guessing!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Pacific Seacraft Crealock 31 #62

NEVER CALLS CRUISINGDAD BACK....CAN"T TAKE THE ACCENT
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook