SailNet Community - View Single Post - Air Conditioning
View Single Post
Old 07-17-2008

sonofasailorsailing is on a distinguished road
AC on our boat

In 2006, I purchased a Mermaid 9000BTU unit on Ebay for $300.00. This was a new unit, not used. I was very lucky. I got the installation kit from West Marine for $150.00 (about half price) because they were on close out. I instlled it myself following their excellent instructions (almost "Marine AC for Dummies!) This has been the most productive thing we have done. We live in the Florida panhandle and it get hot here! This has extended our livability an additional five or six months. I now have a 3000 watt gas generator hat I can use at anchor.

We have a 33' Glander Tavana. This boat has absolutely no insulation in her decks, so this unit does alot of running. We are going to put a soaker hose on the deck when in port and run that during the day. It should help. We put throwable cushions on the hatches to insulate them.

A friend of our was so impressed with our unit, he bought a Mermaid 12000BTU unit for his Catalina 310. His boat is better insulated and the unit runs great. He has been sick for quite a while and cannot take the heat. It has extended his boat time to year round. A cople of weeks age, he took his family out (eight i all) and borrowed a Honda 2000 generator. They were quite comfortable and the Honda worked flawlessly.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook