SailNet Community - View Single Post - Pirates and a Yachting Family - this from BBC just now (24 June 2008(
View Single Post
Old 07-17-2008

Freesail99 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to Freesail99
Canada sends warships to Gulf of Aden to protect mariners from pirates

While kidnapped German cruising sailors wait for rescue in the mountains of lawless Somalia, Canada has taken action on the pirate crisis in the Gulf of Aden.

Canada has sent three warships to help thwart swarms of sea-going pirates who have been terrorizing maritime traffic in the area.

There have been 24 acts of piracy off the Somali coast this year, the Kuala Lumpur-based International Maritime Bureau reported last week. Among the victims were a German-registered freighter and its mostly Ukrainian crew, seized in May and freed on July 8 for a ransom of $800,000. A Dutch freighter and its mostly Filipino and Russian crew held for 31 days and exchanged for a ransom as much as $700,000 in June.

In the meantime, no news about a German yacht with four people aboard which was captured two weeks ago raises hopes that a negotiation in underway. Information is scanty and unreliable, but they remain in the hands of pirates who have demanded $2 million to set their hostages free
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook