SailNet Community - View Single Post - Pearson Triton Vs. Alberg 30
View Single Post
Old 07-18-2008

johnshasteen is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimsCAL View Post
I personally wouldn't want to go offshore in either boat. While both are solid boats, my limit would be something 35+ feet, preferably 40+. Your prices seem high for both boats. These are 40 year old boats! I would think either should be available for $10K or less. A very good friend sold his Triton a few years back for $5,500. Figure on spending at least $10K or more to get them up to snuff. Did you consider an Alberg 35? Same pedigree, but closer to the size I would consider a minimum for going offshore.
Strong boats of any size that you like are the right boats to take offshore. Paloma (Bristol 29.9) has been on the Galveston to Vera Cruz and Galveston to Isla Mujeres races (1300 miles round trip each) and has weathered two Force 10 storms in the Gulf of Mexico one for 48 hours and the most recent in March of this year for 36 hours of (according to Coast Guard New Orleans) winds gusting over 60 and 28-30 foot seas. From 50 years of sailing, I assure you, we would have been no better off in a larger boat. Remember, Tanya Ebby (sp?) went around the world in a 26 foot boat.
s/v Paloma, Bristol 29.9, #141
Slipped in Bahia Marina, easy access to Corpus Christi Bay and the Gulf of Mexico.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook