SailNet Community - View Single Post - Anyone using Allstate for boat insurance?
View Single Post
Old 10-14-2003

DuaneIsing is on a distinguished road
Anyone using Allstate for boat insurance?

Getting budgetary quotes for our purchase next year, I found that two major marine carriers, Boat US and United Marine Underwriters both quoted me at around $1,450 per year. As a target, I used:

$100K agreed-value on a 36 foot boat, less than 10 years old, $1,000 deductible, $300K liability, homeport in West Florida, used 12 months a year, and cruising within 100nm of US and Canada (other details escape me at the moment). [Yes, I know this leaves out cruises into the Caribbean, but that''s OK for our first year or two. We can get a Bahaman rider for $50 with the carrier listed below.]

I also checked out Allstate for the same coverage at someone''s suggestion. Even without the discount for giving them my home and automobile policies (as I have now), the premium is quoted at less than $500 per year. I understand that many boat policies are written by Allstate in that area.

My question is whether any of you have used Allstate for your boat insurance and have any comments, pro or con. I''m not sure why there can be such disparity in the premiums. In addition to any advice I get here, I will be sure to compare the policies very carefully before choosing.

TIA,

Duane
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook