SailNet Community - View Single Post - Pearson Triton Vs. Alberg 30
View Single Post
Old 07-18-2008

johnshasteen is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog View Post
Tania Aebi. the boat, Varuna, was a Contessa 26. dude, you need better weather planning
Hey, I wish we did have - the first storm about 15 years ago we were 300 miles into the Galveston to Vera Cruz race when we learned of the fast moving storm and the closest land was back the 300 miles to Galveston which would have been heading directly into the storm - turned out we couldn't outrun in in the 350 miles between us and Vera Cruz. In the storm last March we were about 70 miles from the nearest land when we got the Coast Guard warning, the nearest land would have only taken us into the ICW - which could have been worse - so we tried to run Easterly and get onto the edge of the storm - didn't make it - had to run before the storm and ended up about 185 miles south of our rumb line. I've weathered bigger storms in the Atlantic back in the 60's aboard my dad's old Hinckley B40, but not as bad, because those storms weren't driven by cold fronts, those gales were were driven by lows.
s/v Paloma, Bristol 29.9, #141
Slipped in Bahia Marina, easy access to Corpus Christi Bay and the Gulf of Mexico.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook