SailNet Community - View Single Post - Please recomend a blue water cruiser for around 10K
View Single Post
Old 07-18-2008

Taffy1960 is on a distinguished road
Please recomend a blue water cruiser for around 10K

Hi, this is my first post.
I have enjoyed reading all the comments from more experienced sailors. Dear all, please can you suggest a few boats. I have a dream to sail about half the year. I have been researching for about 4 months for my ideal boat. My plan is to buy a 27-35 footer that I can single hand once I know her. I prefer solid fibreglass (I can do repairs). I like the idea of late 70s early 1980''s (for systems and resale). Budget? Well the sages recommend buying a boat of this age that has already been refitted. Which could take us to 15K – 20K . but the less spent the better (that way if shes holed or stolen then it wont break the bank + she’ll be less of a target for criminals). I will be cruising for 6 months of the year, most of the time on board, but I don’t want luxury. Mainly solo with friends visiting (max 4 berths). I prefer a draft of less than 4 ft. to get into those sheltered interesting places, yet I want her to be capable of an ocean crossing. For this it also seems diesel engine a must. (then I could use biodiesel)

Research has turned up so far Vegas, Tartan 27, 30, (I like the centreboard idea on these boats) contessa 26, sabre 28, and somebody recommended alberg 30ft.
Speed not a priority, but The seawind 11 32, and westsail 32 might be too much to handle? My experience is beginner/intermediate.
I plan to buy in florida USA ideally febuary/ march 2009. That way I can easily fly up from Chile, get some experience on her / do any maintenance, and sail the carib for 3 or 4 months

Many thanks for your thoughts. I hope I haven’t fanned any flames ……

Taffy.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook