SailNet Community - View Single Post - mogan nelson/marek 454cb
View Single Post
Old 10-14-2003

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about
mogan nelson/marek 454cb

The 150% jib would be a huge sail on a 454. With a foam luff it can be reefed down to perhaps a 140% genoa and still hold some shape for a short time. Even reefed to 140% this is a very big sail. Over time, even with a foam luff the leech and foot will creep toward each other and power up the sail, so roller furling in heavy air is at best a temporary solution. 110% jibs are generally nice sails to handle as they do not hang up on the shrouds during a tack. On a boat with a rig proportioned like the 454 a 100% jib would not have a very wide wind range and would perhaps come into its own in winds over something like 15 or so knots.

As a pretty physically fit, 53 year old, these are bigger sails than I would want to handle by myself. My best advise is to try to get a sail on the boat and single hand a couple back to back tacks a few minutes apart to see if that grinds you down. These are pretty big boats with really big jibs. I think you will quickly figure out whether this is too much for you to want to mess with at least without the expense, maintanance and complication of power winches.

You will probably use the spinacker a lot as this rig proportion tends to be a real slug deep reaching or downwind without a spinacker.

Jeff

Jeff
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook