Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: New England
Thanked 18 Times in 14 Posts
Rep Power: 16
It would help if you said what kind of sailing you intend to be doing. IF you're just coastal cruising and island hopping, a catamaran might very well be a better choice.
Also, what is your budget??
Some Pros and Cons of a Catamaran:
- More living space than a comparable LOA monohull
- More privacy for living aboard
- Easier to live aboard since the boat stays level—doesn't heel
- Often easier to maneuver than monohulls—especially those with twin engines
- Shallower draft, means you can explore more areas—also good for hiding from hurricanes
- Some catamarans have poor sailing characteristics
- Catamarans are weight sensitive
- Catamarans require different sailing techniques than monohulls.
- Harder to find dock or slip space
- Some have more equipment (two engines) and more maintenance costs
I hope this helps...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.
—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)
If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Last edited by sailingdog; 07-18-2008 at 09:10 PM.