SailNet Community - View Single Post - I bought a 30 footer for 500.00.....
View Single Post
Old 10-15-2003

GordMay is on a distinguished road
I bought a 30 footer for 500.00.....

John232:
Sounds to me as though you have the experience, and the “room to spend”, to do a nice re-fit. Good luck!

As a 1980 vintage, you will likely find the wiring to have been inadequate, and having (additionally) been submerged, I’d consider replacing all of it with modern, properly sized and terminated Tinned wire. The electronics are likely “toast”. Check out “Ohm’s Law & Boats” @ www.sailnet.com , under Gear & Maintenance.

The stove can probably be cleaned and put back into service (it’s not electric, is it?).

The engine (was not running when submerged) should be dismantled, examined, and cleaned (flush /w fresh water, then immediately soak in kerosene). Others may provide better, more detailed advice. Also see www.dieselclinic.com. The 13HP Volvo might be somewhat underpowered for a 30 footer, but should be OK for inland lake work?

Unless you’re very adventuresome, I’d send the Alternator & Starter to a good Alternator Shop (marine experience preferred, but automotive might be OK).

You’ll want to carefully examine the fuel tank, and lines. Also take careful note of the condition of the (prop’ & rudder) packing glands, and the shaft strut.

You’ll want to carefully examine HOW the keel came off, and what damage it did as it did so. Look for damage around the keel bolt holes, the corners of the sump, the stringers, and the floor boards. Cracked floorboards can tell you a lot about the etiology of the breakeaway, and it’s likely consequences. Also check all visible “tabbing” and structural bonding connections. The “racking” that occurs when hoisting (full of water) may have disjointed some of these connections. Now will be the time to upgrade backing plates & etc, if required.
Obviously, these structural repairs lie well within the scope of your stated expertise.

Perhaps you should “sound” the entire hull, prior to investing too much more into her. She was, after all, a (nearly) 25 year old, prior to wrecking.

Good luck - and keep us up to date. I''m certain that you''ll get lots of advice and opinion, as you develope (& ask) specific questions.

Best regards,
Gord
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook