SailNet Community - View Single Post - Catalina 22 swing vs wing keel ???
View Single Post
Old 07-19-2008

djodenda will become famous soon enough djodenda will become famous soon enough
Welcome to Sailnet!

The swing keels on Catalina 22s are fine. Maybe not in a boat that is moored in salt water, but other than that, no real worries. Sure, they require some attention, but nothing extraordinary. Certainly, the trailering would be much easier with a swing keel.

A good place for you to look around is Catalina Direct: Welcome to Catalina Direct Online<br><br>

There is a forum there with lots of information on C22s... Also, I recommend you purchase their C22 parts catalog BEFORE you buy your boat. Pretty much anything you need is listed in there, including prices. That way, when you are looking for your boat, you will quickly know the cost of any replacement parts.

And now, for the BEST ADVICE EVER for purchasing a Catalina 22 (courtesy of my father)

Are you ready?

Sure?

Here goes....

If you can, purchase a 1986 or later boat. (MKII) They made SIGNIFICANT upgrades and changes to the boat at that time, the kind of stuff you can't "do yourself"

1) Dedicated locker for the fuel tank
2) Improved traveler and backstay
3) Integral cooler/companionway step
4) Relocation of the galley (no more shoving it into the quarterberth)

and other niceties. They really make a difference.

The newer ones are harder to find. There were around 16,000 C22s made, starting in the early 1970s. My 1988 C22 was #14312. So, you can see they are a bit rare. Try at least to look at a MKII before you buy one.

They are great boats, and I wish you the best.

David

1987 CS 36 Merlin "Kyrie"

"They drove a dump truck full of money up to my house. I'm not made of stone!" -Krusty the Clown
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook