SailNet Community - View Single Post - mogan nelson/marek 454cb
View Single Post
Old 10-15-2003

jparker11 is on a distinguished road
mogan nelson/marek 454cb

NewOrlSailer;

I am sure Jeff will bounce in here with one of his multi-page epistles with a dizzying amount of good information. But to inject a some fresh meat into the subject matter, your prerequistites of size, capability and money points to one of my favorite boats, Robert Perry designed Nordic 40 or 44.

I must confess, I am a little biased by the fact that nearly all of the West coast delivered Nordics were commissioned in an adjacent slip in the late 80''s. I would literally slobber over them in the six to eight weeks it took to complete this process. The hulls were laid up by the same family that built Uniflite yachts in years prior(read - "built like brick !@#$houses)". In the passing decade and a half, most of these boats have gone extensively offshore and acquitted themselves well as cruisers and racers.

The only drawback would be the draft for thin water cruising on the East coast.

They don''t grow on trees in the re-sale market and seem to go fast when available, for premium prices. And you don''t see many of them on the right coast. Most were purchased as semi-custom yachts by discriminating owners and have had many more $$$ put in upgrades than they sell for these days.

These semi-customs of the ''80''s seem like better value than high production/charter boats the same era IMHO.

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook