SailNet Community - View Single Post - I bought a 30 footer for 500.00.....
View Single Post
Old 10-16-2003

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about
I bought a 30 footer for 500.00.....

I am sorry, I thought that you said the boat in question was a 1980 30 R. The 30R is a very different boat than the later 30/30''s. There was also a Schock Wavelength/ Schockwave 30 that was built around 1980. This was an extremely neat, but fragile design.

The 30/30''s were a more expensive boat with much better sailing capabilities but with an very basic interior that is pretty similar to a J-29. I think that 1982-83 was the first year that the 30/30 was in production. 30/30''s typically sell for somewhere a little over $20K but one that has been would certainly be worth substantially less.

My goal in my earlier post was not discourage you as much as to suggest that you carefully consider the project up front so that you don''t pour a lot of money into the boat only to find that you have spent more time and money than you could afford. Obviously the nearly new sails greatly increase the likelihood of a successful project.

Good luck. Respectfully,
Jeff
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook