SailNet Community - View Single Post - Good Source For Hose Fittings?
View Single Post
Old 07-21-2008

Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice
Jim..

Jim,

In short that strainer had a lot of shortcomings.

#1 Sea grass or eel grass, the long skinny ones, would not make the turn into the basket and would clog the intake it was my gut feeling that this was due to it's constricted size.

#2 Because of size I needed to empty it often. The bowl and housing are made of different plastics and as such required teflon grease to operate easily otherwise they would bind on each other.

#3 The gasket between the bowl and housing would tend to "bunch" as you tightened the bowl back on sometimes requiring two or three attempts at making it leak free.

#4 The bowl comes off the bottom and in the ocean, you would not worry as much in fresh water, it is a royal PITA if the strainer is not the highest part of the intake system as ALL the SALT WATER in the hose comes spilling out into your engine compartment!! I much prefer a top clean out!!

#5 Finally my clear housing cracked at the threaded portion and after calling every chandlery and SureFlo I decided to ditch it as the part was hard to get and far to fragile for my liking.

#6 As I removed it I noticed that the bronze hose barbs, that had been installed into the housing, had cracked it!! I had not noticed it leaking but where the male threads of the hose barb went into the housing was cracked.

#7 The metal bracket on mine was galvanized steel NOT stainless but I do think they have modified this since...??

So that is my experience with the strainer you posted. Mixing bronze and plastic is never advised and the differing expansion characteristics are most likely what cracked the housing. As for the clear bowl that NEVER should have split!!! Tried two different o-rings and both acted the same..

For the $50.00 more this Perko 1/2" bronze intake strainer is a VERY good value!!!

1/2" Perko Strainer / Hamilton Marine

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook