SailNet Community - View Single Post - Recommended cruising boats
View Single Post
Old 10-17-2003

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about
Recommended cruising boats

I think that the late 1970''s and early 1980''s era Hunter 37 cutter (and 36 sloop) were both very nice inexpensive cruisers. I would not necessarily say they are better built than the new Hunters. Mythology and public opinion aside, and dispite the fact that I am not a big fan of the current use of B&R rigs or the rolled out flange hull deck joints, many of the newer Hunters benefit from kevlar vinylester laminates at potential impact and high stress areas and very well engineered and sophisticated hull framing schemes. But that is not the topic on the floor.

The Hunter 37 cutter/36 sloop offers a very nice layout, good tankage and storage, good performance in a wide range of conditions, good ventilation and a reasonable build quality. (I was just aboard a very nice sample of this boat last weekend) As nearly 25 year old boats these boats either have been reconditioned/upgraded by now or else need to be. The best deals are some of the boats that have been lovingly upgraded but have not done any heavy cruising. There are some shortcomings to these boats, but in general I have always liked them. I would not call them beamy which I believe the original poster wanted.

Jeff
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook