SailNet Community - View Single Post - Please recomend a blue water cruiser for around 10K
View Single Post
Old 07-22-2008
Tartan 27' owner

CalebD will become famous soon enough
You gotta love youthful exuberance!
I own a Tartan 27' that we got for $4K from an owner desperate to get rid of his second and older boat. While it is considered a coastal cruiser it is a well made boat but being older it requires more care and maintenance. I know of one T27 owner who sailed his boat from Europe to the South Pacific, IIRC.
It is not my idea of an ocean voyager but it is a good solid boat as are Pacific Seacraft and CS models which will be more expensive.
There are a lot of maintenance issues that come up with older boats such as engine health, chain plate and rigging integrity and thru hulls that you do not want to find out about when you are 100+ miles off any coast in any kind of rough sea.
The guy who took his T27 to the South Pacific modified it for ocean cruising and added a lot of electronics etc. to the boat.
Nice dream and I hope you find the boat that was looking for you.

Everybody has one:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook