SailNet Community - View Single Post - If you don't know how to anchor... DON'T !!!!!!
View Single Post
Old 07-22-2008

SVSantana is on a distinguished road
Our only real bad experience so far was on the west coast of Florida about 10 years ago. We were anchored and the forecast was for 35-40 knit winds. We gad been anchored for a couple of days and 3 catamarans anchor ahead of us. I've never worried about cats before mainly because that are light and usually have good anchoring techniques. About 3am we felt a bump and went above and saw one cat up under our bow sprit with everyone asleep below decks. Finally got someone awake and tried to power away from us, but were hung up in out sprit stay which is welded chain and us with an all chain rode out it created an closed v shape like a pair of scissors. As the wind blew then into us the chain acted like a pair of shears and we ended up cutting into them for about 5 feet until they got up against our hull and scraped our paint job. Finally got them free amd spent the rest of the morning watching out for his buddies. I n the morning exchanged insurance info and thought all was well. Before we could get in and have our boat repaired we ended with a lawsuit for damage to his boat. His dumb*ss attorney advised him that he had a good case against us. The judge ended up advising both of them differently. There excuse was that I was using chain and not rope for anchoring a 12.5 ton boat in strong winds and that it was an excessive anchoring technique. He drug but I didn't.
Don't anyone get their panties in a ruffle just because it was a multihull, it's just that he was able to fit between the bowsprit and chain rode.
Still think back on it and get a good laugh out of it....
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook