TDW...why would anyone anchor downwind of you?
They work for the government and want to test their new NBC suits.
SteveCox.... in my experience it takes about 20 knots of wind to extend an all chain rode pretty fully... so depending on conditions, you may wish to anchor a bit further behind such a boat if you don't have all chain yourself. This is the one scenario where having a kellet on a rope rode can help reduce your swinging circle in light conditions so that your boat acts like all the other all chain rode boats in terms of swinging circle. In heavy conditions there are no worries as all rodes will be stretched. I've often had to take in a few yards or ask the boat behind us to let out a bit as conditions change and yes...sometimes you have to pull the hook and move to be safe. There are no 100% safe solutions in a crowded anchorage but it pays to
1. circle and observe the boats around you and what they are using.
2. anticipate the weather conditions when positioning your boat and laying your rode. If it is gonna pipe up later...give yourself room for a bit more scope.
3. use good etiquette...don't anchor for NOW...anchor for a 360 circle that won't impact the boats around you as they swing around too.
4. ASK the guy in front of you how much scope he has out so you can be a good neighbor! I often do thhis as I drive to my spot behind another boat.
5. Last IN...FIRST to move is the rule if anyone is getting too close to anyone else.
Too bad most powerboaters don't know or understand #5.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.
—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)
If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.