SailNet Community - View Single Post - Raw Water Cooling - No Water Coming Out
View Single Post
Old 07-23-2008

RAGTIMEDON is on a distinguished road
I believe the most common reason for lack of water flow is a clogged heat exchanger. Think about hole sizes-- water lines are generally 3/4 to 1 inch diameter, fittings are proportional. The heat exchanger is normally a honeycomb of small tubes, less than 1/4 inch diameter. Any given piece of crud going thru the lines will stop at the smallest restriction! In my own engine, my heat exchanger had several chunks of rubber in the heat exchanger, because the PO had used the same pump impeller until it disintegrated! There was a fairly new impeller in the pump when I took it apart, but my engine chronically overheated. I have no way of knowing how long those bits of rubber were in there before it clogged, but cleaning it out increased water flow dramatically, and dropped the engine temp to the normal range. It is also common that because of the cooling effect, calcium can precipitate out of the water and clog the small exchanger tubes. Soak the exchanger core in vinegar, clean with pipe cleaners. A cruising friend told me the proper protocol is to annually inspect the impeller, and if it looks new, throw it away and put in a new one. Impellers are cheap, a warped engine head (due to overheating) is expensive!

1980 Endeavour 37 sloop, currently in the Mississippi near St Louis
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by RAGTIMEDON; 07-23-2008 at 02:32 PM. Reason: spelling!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook