SailNet Community - View Single Post - Sailing Safety
Thread: Sailing Safety
View Single Post
Old 07-23-2008

MikeGC is on a distinguished road
Sailing Safety

Ok Sailing Gurus here is a topic for you to chew on. Before I leave the dock I have safety meeting with everyone to get our heads in the game. Here is the list of items I review. It is intentionally short and is not mean to the comprehensive discussion of the all things that could go wrong but is meant set the tone for sailing a large boat. So review and chew. I would really like to here some thoughts on this.

Thanks

Crew Meeting Before Leaving the Dock

1.Safety is number one we can replace anything including the boat but replacing hands, arms, or people is not possible. Sacrifice the boat or equipment not yourself – do not get hurt.

2.The major hazards on the boat are:

- The boom – Being hit by the boom can be fatal

- The lines – They contain a large amount of energy. Do not get jewelry or fingers caught in winches. Remove rings and necklaces.

- When leaving or coming into the dock do not get between the boat and other boats or the boat and the dock.

- There are many tripping hazards on the deck move around the deck slowing and cautiously. Wear shoes when under sail.

3.Man over board.
- If some one falls off the boat keep you eyes on the individual and let the crew know. There is no need to shout hysterically but calmly state “man overboard” and do not take your eyes off the person in the water. If you are close enough throw a floatation device to the individual.

4.Life vest are on deck and if conditions warrant we will put them on.

5.Fire – there are five fire extinguishers on board located in the galley, aft stateroom, and forward stateroom. If we have a fire pull the pin on the extinguisher point it at the base of the flame and pull the trigger.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook