SailNet Community - View Single Post - Preventing or reducing anchor swinging
View Single Post
Old 07-23-2008
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
Lancer...nice contribution...much that I agree with and much that I don't but all a matter of opinion! I will focus for the moment on the choice of a Delta vs. a CQR...one which I have considerable experience in having had BOTH on my last two boats....and in conditions of extended 20-40kt. plus conditions. The DELTA is the MUCH superior anchor in terms of digging in, in all bottoms which I attribute to the heavily weighted tip AND it is much less prone to dragging in full gale+ conditions. We had to switch our 65lb. CQR to a combination short (50ft.) chain to nylon rode as the strain of an all chain rode being pulled bar tight (10:1 scope) jerked the CQR right out and CQR's are extremely difficult to re-set in heavy conditions. After dragging on one in 25kts. in the BVI's one night we had to motor around the anchorage all night after a dozen attempts to re-set in those conditions failed.(This on a charter boat with no other options!) When we switched out our 65lb drag prone CQR to the nylon rode, performance improved...but we had MUCH better performance from out 55lb Delta on all chain which became our primary. We dragged 3 times in 6 years of almost continuous anchoring on the Delta...and two of those times were my fault for anchoring in Debris rather than the bottom!
I have a lot of confidence in the Delta and equally important it always sets quickly and resets quickly in a shift. I don't have ANY personal experience with the new generation anchors but based on what I've seen with friends and testing results I would buy one of those today if starting from scratch.
Also...I like the big Fortress's as a secondary storm and primary "jello mud"
anchor is it is easy to deploy and holds like the dickens in one direction and in mud.

Dquack... a spring line is a line from dock to boat with both a forward and aft line spring being used to hold the boat in place along the dock. A snubber line is a line from BOW CLEAT or SAMPSON POST (NEVER...EVER Winch/WINDLASS!) to anchor rode. A Bridle is a line led from the anchor rode to the stern of the boat to cause it to lie somewhat sideways to the weather and to reduce "sailing" . Bridles can be run to a genny winch for adjustment bu should then be cleated off. They should not be used in heavy weather as they increase loads on the anchor significantly though this may be compensated for somewhat by increasing scope. You asked "Now how do you do this in a crowded anchorage, where everyones swinging circles overlap, when the wind picks up to 40 kts and switches 180 degrees?!?" The simple answer is that when a big blow is coming, you and everyone else in the anchorage let out their rodes and keeps an anchor watch. And as a practical matter, swinging circles do not present ANY problem as in stronger winds clocking around the compass, all boats lie the same way VERY quickly...even catamarans. You also need to understand that the clockng around 180+ degrees is a gradual process taking place over hours as a low passes through. Swinging circles are MUCH more problematic in light winds and tides/currents where different boats respond at different times based on windage, keel configuration, number of hulls and displacement. No one worries about sailing around at anchor in a big blow..you worry about dragging and someone else dragging in to you. Any time gale force is predicted, we keep an anchor watch all night if in a crowded harbor. I don't have Halekai's confidence in the anchoring techniques of other!
BTW...I totally agree with you on stern anchoring.