SailNet Community - View Single Post - Preventing or reducing anchor swinging
View Single Post
post #54 of Old 07-23-2008
dquack
Licensed 50 Ton Master

Anchor Spring Line

I checked on my poor memory to make sure...

This is a copy taken directly from a section of a page from another source. Not sure of the author,

"ANCHOR SPRING LINES:

Often, you anchor where the Wind and the Water work at cross-purposes. Some anchorages may have a strong current running through them, or sometimes experience a strong surge or groundswell. Even a smaller current or surge can set your boat to rocking - and you know how uncomfortable a rolling boat can be. A really fast current or big swell can make the harbor untenable.

Fortunately, there's an easy way to alleviate all that by the use of a forward quarter spring line to the anchor rode, a technique called "springing the rode".

To understand how Anchor Spring Lines work, it will be helpful to visualize the conditions that call for it. Suppose you're anchored in a harbor where the wind is blowing from the east. Lying to her anchor, your boat will point east into the wind. Now, suppose there's a surge rolling into the harbor from the north (or a current running South). It could be a ground swell generated by some distant storm, or just a remnant of seas outside the harbor bending around the headland. Whatever the source, waves from the north will strike your boat on the port beam and she'll rock-n-roll."

Anyway, there are "spring lines" for docking and "spring lines" for anchoring. I think I originally read it in an old Horatio Hornblower Book (one of my favorites).

Don

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Smooth Seas,
Captain Don Quackenbush
SV HERMES, Pearson 33
East Coast, Great Lakes
Quote Share with Facebook

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome