SailNet Community - View Single Post - Puget Sound Area lessons
View Single Post
Old 07-24-2008

Grotius is on a distinguished road
I wish I could help with that particular club's offerings. It sounds like a great place to start. I take it you'll be sailing on Lake Washington? I think that's a much better place to start than Puget Sound. The lake is calmer, the winds are lighter, and you don't have to worry about tides or current.

As I'm sure you know, there are tons of sailing lessons to be had in the Seattle area. I can describe two or three that I tried when I lived there.

The City of Seattle used to offer lessons on Lasers on the west side of Lake Washington, near Madrona/Madison Park. There's nothing like a spunky little Laser to teach you the points of sail, heh. Before I took this course, I had to prove I could tread water for 20 minutes, fully clothed, in a cold swimming pool. Good thing, because I got plenty of practice capsizing the Laser.

The course itself comprised a series of lessons -- maybe around a dozen, I don't remember. At every lesson, we had to assemble the Laser ourselves, which was a good exercise in itself. (I wonder if I still could do that. It's been a while.) The course culminated in a few races, which were a blast.

I also took some lessons at Windworks, which I'm pretty sure is still in operation. See

About Windworks Sailing Center New Sailors

It offers lessons on larger boats on Puget Sound. I had a great time, but as I recall the first couple of classes weren't very hands-on. And I moved away from Seattle before I had time to finish their Basic Keelboat course, which was more hands-on. I think Windworks operates out of Shilshole Bay marina, or at least it did back then. I think your Kirkland program sounds like a better place to start, but I mention Windworks for what it's worth.

Finally, I took some private lessons on a 20-footer on Lake Union, and I loved the instructor, but I can't remember his name or the name of the sailing school he was affiliated with. Big help, huh? If I dig up any info on him or his school, I'll post it.

Anyway, your Kirkland deal sounds good, but I thought I'd pass along my experiences in case you decide to look further.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook