SailNet Community - View Single Post - Separate freezer and fridge - two compressors or one?
View Single Post
Old 07-24-2008
Bristol 45.5 - AiniA

killarney_sailor is on a distinguished road
Separate freezer and fridge - two compressors or one?

I check the various threads on refrigeration that have appeared and did not find one that addressed this question, so here goes.

We have decided that we have to replace the ancient Grunert 110v system on our Bristol 45.5. It is our intention to head off for extended cruising in two years so we have been thinking that 12v makes most sense. The boat has a dedicated freezer box (~3.3 cu ft) as well as the refrigerator (~7.8 cu ft). The Grunert has one compressor that services both boxes. According to the Bristol specs there is 6 inches of insulation on the bottom of the boxes, 4 inches on the side and 2 inches on the top. Battery capacity on the boat is substantial and I have a genset, but no solar or wind generation at this point (this good change, as needed).

Are there 12v systems where one larger compressor does both boxes or do we need two smaller compressors? Perhaps the latter is a better idea since you have some redundancy if one compressor craps out on you.

I suspect that personal opinions on good manufacturers depends on one's happiness (or not) with what you have. I have been wondering about Sea Frost since they seem to have such a good reputation, although I must say that I have had very good success with Cold Machines in the past and it would be cheaper to do I think.

Thanks in advance for any comments.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook