SailNet Community - View Single Post - Sailing Safety
Thread: Sailing Safety
View Single Post
Old 07-24-2008

MikeGC is on a distinguished road
Thanks to All

Thanks to all for the comments and ideas. To answer some of the questions

Sailingdog thanks for the info - I have both electric and manual bilge pumps.
I would like to see the sign for emergency radio instructions when you get it.
I will make a point to talk more about MOB procedures.
I have life vests with the harnesses built in and tethers but no jack lines. I will make a point to get jack lines on board. So far I have managed to avoid conditions that require them but you never know when I am going to get in a situation where I need them and when I do I am sure I will really need them bad.

Dquack – I did leave seasickness off the list. We use Sturgeron and it really works well. I will include that item from now on.

You make a great point about having fun. It is easy to get caught up in all the stuff associated with sailing on the ocean and miss the sense of wonder and true magic that is sailing. It continues to be one of the most memorable experiences for my friends and family. Don’t know what I did last week, last year or yesterday but I can talk for hours about every time I have been sailing.

Tommyt and barryl great post - Crew to me is anyone on the boat and I have a wide range of experience form racing sailors to first timers. Tailoring the message to the audience is important and I will definitely use you input.
The operation of the head is one of the first things we go over with people but having instructions posted is a great idea.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook