SailNet Community - View Single Post - Sailing Safety
Thread: Sailing Safety
View Single Post
Old 07-24-2008

arbarnhart is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joel73 View Post
I would say those are all good things to cover... and i do that as well before leaving the dock or atleast on the way out.

Also, I briefly go over anchoring. I do this because if I am the one to go overboard then i need them to stop the boat so i have a chance of getting back aboard. I figure that worst case if they were to drop anchor that she would just turn up into the wind and the sails would flap around for a bit before i could swim back to the boat. This is assuming that I'm not knocked out by the boom or something.
This is a fantastic idea! Especially since I finally got an anchor that might actually stop the boat. I still plan to start tethering (but I know I will take it off sometimes or not have it on yet), but I can attach the end of the anchor line to a bow cleat and lead the line outside the bowrail back to the cockpit and keep the anchor at the ready. This is something I need to do, even for me; if I get into a situation where I need to get things under control I can always toss it over (my usual sailing grounds are not that deep and all sand bottom). Making sure others know to do that also and making sure I always have it ready is a great idea. Thanks Joel!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook