SailNet Community - View Single Post - 24 Macgregor
Thread: 24 Macgregor
View Single Post
Old 10-21-2003

kevi914 is on a distinguished road
24 Macgregor

I bought a 1974 Venture 224 last month and only have had it out once so far. I tought the weather would turn cold here in Colorado, so I put the boat away. Today it was 84! Anyway my 1 day experience was very positive, even my 7 year old took the helm for a few minutes and could keep the tell- tails flat. I have now gutted the interior and am working on replacing some of the cloth covered panels with plywood stained and coated with minwax helmsmen urethane. I also moved some of the foam and built a berth/storage area under the cockpit so that now the entire stren section is flat. I also rewired the entire boat.
Overall the boat seems easy to work on and very solid. I did get lucky as the previous owner replaced the keel boats and installed a blidge pump.
The rest of the boat is sound. Does your speed indicator work? Mine is done for and I can''t get parts for it, I think a fishfinder/temp/speed unit is in order. Any suggestions?
All in all considering I only paid 3,000 for the boat which included a 7.5 hp merc., and a small dingy, a bimini, 2 anchors, and lots of spare parts I feel real good about the buy.It will be a good boat for the western lakes
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook