SailNet Community - View Single Post - Barient 10 winch problem
View Single Post
Old 07-26-2008

clavipes is on a distinguished road
Barient 10 winch problem

I have a Ranger 29 with Barient 10s as secondary winches.
Recently one of them jammed solid - would not rotate without a lot of force. I thought - Oh No! - freshwater complacency has caught up with me, I have not looked at these in years.
I got a manual from the web, and where it says 'lift the drum' I had to (gently) hammer it upwards for 5 mins. to get it off. I expected to find all sorts of nastiness inside, but no, all was fine and well greased. I cleaned and relubricated, but now cannot re-assemble without excessive force (gentle hammering is not enough)

This problem has been seen once before. I quote from a Sailnet message of 2005

|My question is about the little Barient 10 single-speed winches:
|They are EXTREMELY tight going back on. The bearings drop over the
|shafts fine,slip into the winch housings fine, but are near-impossible to get
|all three pieces together without dramatic effort. I assume there is
|clearance in the bearingrollers that gets shifted one way or the other |when assembled.

|How do these get assembled without damaging the bearings?

|Regards, Tom D.

The only answer to this was:

>Try this website....
>arco-winches.com/barient.html

This site has standard maintenance instructions, of no help with this unexpected problem

So far my only idea is to remove the base, set it up on a lathe and remove a thou or two of bronze. This is drastic and irreversible - and it doesn't make any sense that it should be necessary.

Could chill the base / heat the drum for assembly, but then I assume it would jam again when all gets to the same temperature.

Any better suggestions?

David
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook