SailNet Community - View Single Post - "Seacock" vs. "ballcock" or "ball valve?"
View Single Post
Old 07-27-2008

SEMIJim will become famous soon enough SEMIJim will become famous soon enough
"Seacock" vs. "ballcock" or "ball valve?"

I've been using the words "seacock" and "ballcock" interchangeably. Earlier today, while looking something up, I noticed here that maybe the words aren't interchangable? The seacocks they show here and the ball valves (aka: "ballcocks?") they show here. In fact: On each page there is a series of Groco valves that look nearly identical and have very similar part numbers.

So what is the difference, if any, between a seacock and a ball valve or ballcock, other than the fact that it would appear most seacocks have flanges?

Our boat currently has a kind of a haphazard raw water hookup. (You can kind of see part of it in Good Source For Hose Fittings?.) There's a 3/8" thru-hull (with scoop strainer). That is stepped up to a 1/2" fitting, to which a... well, I guess it's more properly a ball valve, attached. Then there's a right-angle 1/2" NPT hose barb atop that, that has a 3/8" barb (looks like). That last will soon be changed to a 1/2" NPT "full flow" barb as part of the raw water strainer addition. I may get ambitious after this seasons haul-out and change the thru-hull to 1/2", but I was figuring on just re-using the existing ball valve, since it appears to be working well. (That change is very low priority, since the raw water cooling seems to be keeping our boats venerable old A4 happy just as it is.)

Jim
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook