SailNet Community - View Single Post - Your knowledge and wisdom please.
View Single Post
Old 07-27-2008

10acious is on a distinguished road
Regarding the hull, you are correct with the later. I was at first looking at steel because I do plan on spending time in icy Northern waters as well as tropical and it is something that I can work with myself. I'm not the best welder but my work is not to messy. And I dont mind the occasional sanding for rust. But a fiberglass hull reinforced with composite at key points would be much lighter, easier to work with and take some abuse if any is given in the reinforced areas. Atleast this is what I came to know some 30 years back when gun stocks began being manufactured in composits.

The boat's hull being lighter would allow me more weight designated to the water and fuel tanks. Please correct me if my thoughts are incorrect on this.

Does anyone know of a weight to knots formula? I'll want the weight below for a smoother sail but would like to not drop below 6 knots crusing speed.

B.T.W. Although I would enjoy the space of a larger boat in the 72 foot area (Mainly because I'd the storage for items that are purchased along the way); I'll be sailing by myself unless cruising blue waters so I'll probably stay in the mid 40's. 48' at the most.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook