SailNet Community - View Single Post - a sailboat and sailing orientation class?
View Single Post
Old 07-27-2008

Gadagirl is on a distinguished road
Denise,
How about a class where they would learn basic terminology followed by a tour on board actual boats? They can climb around, touch and see things. Pull up floor boards, see the engine compartment, look inside the panel box, observe the running and standing rigging, etc. They can ask all the questions that they want. Another thought would be women guest speakers. I know that it helps me to hear or read about how anyone “got started”. To discover that the knowledgeable and confident person sharing with me was once just as ignorant and inexperienced as me is inspiring. The “If she can do it, I can do it”, kind of feeling. None of us have the same end but we all have to start at the beginning. My third suggestion would be a hand out sheet of suggested reading which would include forums like this as well as books and magazines. I think you have a wonderful idea on an introductory/acclamation type of seminar that will help a lot of women.

Judy
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook