SailNet Community - View Single Post - Pearson Triton Vs. Alberg 30
View Single Post
Old 07-28-2008
Pearson 31-2 #80 ('87)

Delirious is on a distinguished road
Pearson Triton

Yes, the Triton can be rigged with a double headsail . . . but the advantages won't outweigh the effort. The exception would be the Triton yawl and a short storm jib on an inner forestay for very strong winds flying jib & jigger. Flying a double headsail to windward wouldn't gain you much; but downwind in light airs it might.

I'm recently divested of a 2000 Catalina 34 that I consider a coastal sailer at best. My wife and I are currently looking at a 1960 Pearson Triton yawl that I would daresay is much more a bluewater boat. This is a $3,000 boat that will likely require another $25,000 to bring it back to proper shape. Nasty, but what current 28 foot boat can be had for $28 with the pedigree of the Triton?

IMHO it's a redoubtable two-person long-range cruiser. Check out Daniel Spurr's "Upgrading the Cruising Sailboat" (much about his Triton - from the editor of Practical Sailor) and Google Jim Baldwin (two circumnavigations in a Triton named "Atom"). There's a lot to be said for renovating or reconditioning a Triton.

The Alberg 30 is 5% more boat in every dimension, but almost identical in every ratio.

Charlie P.

Last edited by Delirious; 07-28-2008 at 12:20 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook