SailNet Community - View Single Post - finishing wood cabin sides...
View Single Post
Old 07-28-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrhoneydew View Post
Thank you all for your input. I would guess that if there was an alternative to keeping up wood with varnish it would be the standard instead. Mostly I was just looking at the "why not?" I have no problem with putting in the time and effort to keep up the brightwork in the right way and I generally detest "faster" "easier" methods for doing things because more often than not they compromise quality and are superficial solutions. Sometimes it's nice to bounce ideas off of other people though.
If there were any decent looking alternative...do you think anyone would still be using varnish???

Quote:
And John, that is an absolutely beautiful boat! Very inspirational.
It is, but I prefer sailing to varnishing.

Quote:
Unfortunately the boat I was looking at has a layer of glass over the 1" mahogany hull. I was talking to someone about it earlier today and they mentioned that the wood can rot out, if the glass is compromised in any way, without you even knowing it. Bummer, because the boat is in need of some cleaning and other work but otherwise could be just what I am looking for. Think I am going to pass though. You can check it with the link below if you like. I think it's probably priced about $5K too high too.

seattle. craigslist. org /see/boa/770247628. html
[/quote]

Was this a wooden boat that was glassed over or was it built this way from the get-go?

If it was a wooden boat that was glassed over, it is generally a bad, bad idea... wooden boats generally need to be able to breathe unless they were built as cold-molded epoxy-wood laminates to start with. Glassing over a wooden boat often yields results like buying a boat with a leaky cored-hull—the wood rots out and to fix it, you have to basically disassemble the boat and re-build it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook