SailNet Community - View Single Post - finishing wood cabin sides...
View Single Post
Old 07-28-2008

Whampoa is on a distinguished road
With the money I save on bottoms peels, wax jobs, having the ss rails polished, replacing wet cored deck, sealing leaking ports, etc the "woodie" is affordable. Systems wise, wooden boats have a lot of the same things like diesels, and water tanks and fuel tanks and radios and stoves. Really. Not a lot of difference there.

SD I would offer that the annual varnish work does cut into my "post" time but doesn't impact my sailing time appreciably. With your post count you must miss your sailing time .

No doubt that a wooden boat requires care and maintenance. Let em go and they will fall to disrepair like so many things. Visit more than one boat yard and you will find no shortage of boats that have not had the proper care over their lives. Sad to see whether they are wood, glass, steel, or paper mache .

Built in 1962, Whampoa is still strong and sound and I predict she has a few more years left in her. But as I said in my earlier post, they are clearly not everyone's cup of tea. I'm enjoying my custodianship immensely.

Good luck in your search.

Best Regards, John
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook