SailNet Community - View Single Post - Installation of extra internal fuel tanks on a Orion 27
View Single Post
Old 07-29-2008

LittleWingCA is on a distinguished road
Sapperwhite:

Great photos showing how your fuel tank is installed and how the fuel lines are run into the area. I appreciate you sharing the information. On my boat, the access hatch in the floor to the bilge pumps is right in front of the lift away panel to the engine, and will have to be enlarged to create an access hole to put the tank in. The interior structural mold on your Orion 27 looks like it was designed with the fuel tank access cover in mind. I am going to have to fabricate a support system for the hatch cover over the tank. Shouldn't be too difficult. Looks like there is plenty of space on the sides to create the "lip" needed.

I intend to keep the tank in the lazerette as well, so I will have to find a place for some kind of fuel manafold / valve control area to be able to switch between tanks. The fuel valve currently is accessable under the lazerette cover so I think I will try and put the valve controls there if there is room.

Does your float switch in the tank get it's position information transferred to an electronic meter, or just to a mechanical indicator? I wonder how accurate the electronic fuel level sensors are these days, especially when underway and when on various tacks?

Do you have to lift the cockpit cover to get access to a primary fuel filter such as a racor or did you locate yours accessable from the front engine access panel under the stairs? Mine is only reachable if the cockpit cover is lifted, which would be a problem if I had to replace the filter when underway. I am thinking of relocating it. I am also wondering if I should add another racor just for the tank I install in the bilge. That way there is some redundancy in the system. I guess it all depends on available space.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

LittleWingCA
1980 Pacific Seacraft Orion 27
Sailing Grounds: Southern California
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook