Join Date: May 2000
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Rep Power: 17
Paint It! Use Interlux
I offer the following from Interlux:
PAINTING TRIM TABS, SHAFTS, STRUTS, PROPS AND THRU HULL FITTINGS.
1. Degrease the metal surface with Fiberglass Solvent Wash 202 or Special Thinner 216.
2. Bring metal to a uniform bright finish by sandblasting with non-ferrous blast media such as clean
silica sand or grind using coarse to medium emery cloth. Remove blast or sanding residue.
3. Apply one thin coat of Viny-Lux Primewash 353/354 thinned 25% with Viny-Lux Solvent 355.
4. Allow Viny-Lux Primewash 353/354 to dry a minimum of one hour but no more then
24 hours and apply three coats of InterProtect® 2000E/2001E following dry times on label.
(If fairing is necessary, fair between first and second coats of InterProtect®).
5. Apply 2-3 coats of Interlux® antifouling paint. Hard antifouling paints work best such as
Fiberglass Bottomkote® or Ultra for this application. On aluminum use Trilux® 33® or Tri-Lux® II.
Note:If dry times for InterProtect® cannot be followed use the following alternate system. Apply four
coats of Primocon YPA984 over the Viny-Lux® Primewash 353/354. On rivets and weld seams
apply a minimum of five coats. Finish with at least three coats of antifouling paint. When painting
aluminum use Trilux® 33®, Tri-Lux® II Trilux® Prop & Drive or Trilux® antifouling paints.
ref: I can not post links yet but look for "boat painting guide / pdf antifouling / running.pdf at yachtpaint . com"
I have been using Interlux Micron Extra on my boat since 2000 and a few other products. I personally trust and follow their recommendations for two reasons; I have always had great results using their products and C & C recommends their products. Sorry can't find proof of the second at this time ...