SailNet Community - View Single Post - Why a flashing light at the top of the mast?
View Single Post
Old 07-30-2008
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boasun View Post
The strobe light is under the Inland Rules for distress. There are many devices for distress signaling. They can be use singlely or combined with other distress signals. What ever it takes to get the word out that you are in trouble big time.
You will note that the firefly lights on your life jackets are also strobes, thus this should have indicated what that strobe at the top of the mast is used for. Distress Not Disco dancing
I have noticed that those firefly strobes are easier to see then a steady light from that 1 cell incandenscent life jacket light. Do a couple of MOB drills at night and note the difference. And you will understand why you have that tiny light on your life jacket.
Agreed, Boasun. We hook those on to everyone - especially the kids if out at night. Ours are the water activated. I consider them invalueable. If purchase a masthead light, I too would certainly buy the strobe. Whatever it takes.

- CD

2004 Catalina 400, Sea Mist IV (our boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in S FL and Keys primarily)
1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow My Blog at:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow me on Facebook:

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook