SailNet Community - View Single Post - Albin Marine Nimbus 42
View Single Post
Old 07-31-2008

jakmedic is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhwhite View Post
I'm dreaming about buying a 1981 Albin Nimbus 42 that is currently on Yachtworld and is located in Maryland. Can you tell me the negatives you have discovered about the boat. I don't like the bridge deck companionway and the teak decks are a concern. My last boat had teak decks which had to be replaced at about 50% of the overall boat's value. Also, the cabin from the photos appears to be dark and without much exterior viewing. Wondering about the rig with the inner stay and runners - can the boat be single handed?
Dhwhite: so sorry I've not checked the site for a while. Hopefully by now you have your dream boat...if not and you're still interested, I can tell you our Albin 42 has been very good to us over the years (we've also been good to her). I was 11 years old when my parents bought her new in 1981, and we've cruised maine to florida over the years, though mostly long Island sound. She's solid, well built and quick (though we're strictly cruisers, never race). It is true the companionway is steep, and it's location may make it less convenient than other boats, but frankly it's not something we've ever found to be a bother. Only recently, now that we have a toddler who we are introducing to the boat, is the companionway position likely to make things awkward for a while. Someone with orthopedic issues might have issues. The teak decks are beautiful and we've never had to go through a major replacement. We scrub them with minimal acid wash (not taking down too much of the wood is important) and oil them (several coats) twice a season (beginning and middle of the season), which doesn't take more than a day of work each time. Maybe we've been lucky but the work and expense has been reasonable, and the pleasure we get from the appearance we feel is well worth it. Admittedly, last year we've developed a small leak whenever it rains that's likely somewhere in/under the wood, and we haven't been able to locate it's source yet. But this has been the only issue thus far. I've not noticed that the cabin is dark, but as you mention, it's true the windows aren't very large. I'd call it cozy. I don't consider myself to be an especially accomplished sailor, but I can say she's very easy to handle alone, and I do so quite often (though significant prop walk in reverse makes certain slips a no-go). With 2 people working her she's a breeze.

I'll try to check on this thread to see if you have any more questions. Overall, we've loved the boat.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook