SailNet Community - View Single Post - That Smell!
Thread: That Smell!
View Single Post
Old 07-31-2008
Tartan 27' owner

CalebD will become famous soon enough
Everyone has covered what I am about to say so I am only posting to re-iterate the good ideas that have been put forward.
- if you want to shock the system with bleach or other chemicals that is fine as long as you rinse out the tank and hoses really well when done.
- KO or the equivalent Raritan product are the best aerobic tank treatments IMHO, as long as you do not use any harsh chemicals with them.
- frequent pump outs and rinses will certainly help.
- a second vent hose to your tank is a really good idea.

When we got our T 27' it had a persistent odor in the cabin. We decided to rip out the holding tank and all the hoses leading out of it. At the time we installed the new tank we also added a second vent hose for the (then) clean tank. Captain Blye (yours truly) would not let anyone soil the new plumbing for some time until it became obvious that serving wine (or nothing) to the fairer sex meant that the head would have to be used. We seldom use the head but treat it with KO and with 2 vents to the tank there has been no odor problem to speak of. My feeling is that you use a little bleach in your fresh water tanks but not for your holding tank.
I am not suggesting putting in a second vent line with an existing tank as this could be a pretty unpleasant job but the next time all of that gets ripped out please do consider this as a very good option.
I hate that nasty holding tank smell as much or more than the next person.
Good luck and fair odors.

Everybody has one:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook