SailNet Community - View Single Post - Heaving-To versus Bare Poles
View Single Post
Old 08-01-2008

Omatako will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog View Post
I think skudding off at high-speed is far more dangerous than lying to a JSD. One requires the crew and captain to be exposed to the storm and to actively steer the boat. The other is a much more passive technique, and allows the, more likely than not, exhausted captain and crew to hunker down and get some rest.
My problem with skudding off at any speed is that when nightfall comes the weather that caused the need for survival tactics is often not conducive to decent night vision and when your running ahead of a huge following (sometimes breaking) sea, it requires very good judgement of the angle your are running at relative to the wave train. On a dark night this is not easy when there is little ambient light about and seriously dangerous if you get it wrong.

In the daytime however, I have often and will again entrust the management of the boat to my 24-hour crewmember - my faithful and very competent autopilot.

Mottissier was without doubt a better sailor than I am and one thing is for sure: he was really far more courageous

Andre
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook