SailNet Community - View Single Post - old glass hull v. new glass hull
View Single Post
Old 10-30-2003

sailnaway is on a distinguished road
old glass hull v. new glass hull

All of the information here is on the mark from what I can see. Fiberglass also had a history of from good to not so good in the seventies when we had the gas chrisis. The formula for fiberglass changed to make up for the rising cost of the materials made with peteroleum and glass was not as good in say 1977 as it was in 1974. This I am sure is also a choice of quality made by the manufacture of diffrent boats and if they were willing to cut back on quality. I have found the glass in some boats to be mostly mat and not much on roving and cross ply materials. Mat is just a filler and really adds very little in strength but is also needed in some phases of the layup. Also boats that were laid up in wet climates have more problems than boats in dry climates for reasons that can be seen in the humidity levels affecting the laminates.Now with the rebirth of sandwich core hulls new and maybe better materials being used below the waterline a new set of problems arise from this process.I dont like cored hulls they are weak and do not resist impact as well as a heavy lay up. They may have a place in racing but then if you don''t find your self in that nitch why bother.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook