SailNet Community - View Single Post - fresh water system stopped working after fill-up
View Single Post
Old 08-01-2008
Glad I found Sailnet

Bene505 will become famous soon enough Bene505 will become famous soon enough
fresh water system stopped working after fill-up

I have a new (to me) Beneteau 505 with 4 separate water tanks. The fresh water system was working when I bought it. Of course, before sailing away from the dock and taking her home, I topped off the fresh water system. Now it doesn't work, only sputters a small bit of water out of the faucets.

When filling up, we simply stuck the "garden" hose into the inlet port. There was no firm seal. Water could and did spout up 6-12 inches high when the tank got full. So I'm thinking (hoping) nothing got damaged from that.

I tried switching the manifold to suck water from various combinations of tanks and still it didn't work. I tried switching to the backup water pump and that didn't work either. I did notice that the water pumps looked like they were pumping a lot of air into them, through the clear hose going into the pump.

Maybe there needs to be an air cavity in the water tanks for it to work? To prime the pump? My plan is to remove an inlet cover or two and see if it works then.

Any ideas?

(Counting the hours until I'm back on board!)
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook