SailNet Community - View Single Post - LA Decisions...
Thread: LA Decisions...
View Single Post
Old 08-02-2008
Banned

serenity4u2 is on a distinguished road
LA Decisions...

I'm new to this site and have been reading many threads. I have the plan of selling my home and becoming a LA... My preference is Sail... I would like to keep the initial boat budget around 150K...

I would like honest feedback about three boats.. Nonsuch 33, Gemini 105mc and a Catalina 38... LA characteristics are most important to me.. I would be interested in other sail boats as well. I am attempting to balance livable space with cost to include annual costs.

The boats that have caught my eye have been used nonsuch's 30 - 33 feet.. Most owners say they have the interior space of a 38 foot sloop. The same is said about the Gemini 105mc...

I speant about two hours reading the catalina threads.. I was amazed how the one person went from a C36, to a C38 then a C42...

Catalina's have caught my eye because of the room that would make a nice LA... Thinking I would want to keep the boat at 38 feet... My thinking is getting over 40 feet will raise annual costs and also might be harder to find suitable slips?? Is that valid thinking??? I am not aware of other things that might be important considerations as a LA... Maybe Quality of plumbing systems, holding tanks, additional costs to actually keep a boat in the water ALL year long.

My priorities for a LA...
1. Large cockpit for lounging.
2. Ability to enclose the cockpit (my screen porch).
3. A roomy salon with storage (two adults living full time).
4. A boat suitable for colder climates.
5. A boat that I do not have to be a slave to constant fixing up.

I will be docking my boat around Everett, WA... 70% of time will be dock side. Plan to sail Pugent sound and some island hopping.

Which of the three boats would make a better LA with some island sailing? Hope this is not to vague- if so, sorry... Thanks Mike
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook