SailNet Community - View Single Post - Rain Catcher? Anyone?
View Single Post
Old 08-02-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Not on this planet... most rain is caused when moisture condenses around small particulates in the air... that would tend to indicated to me, that the rain has a fair bit of particulate matter in it. This doesn't even address issues like chemical pollutants, like sulphur dioxide, one of the primary components of acid rain, volcanic ash, airborne dust from drought stricken areas or a million other sources of pollution. Airborne pollution can travel long distances, so the water from rainstorms over the open ocean isn't much better than that near coastal areas. Go ahead, get a bucket and catch some rainwater in, and cover it and leave it sitting in the sun for a week. It won't be the "clean" water you think it is after that time is my guess. Plenty of pollen, microbes, mold spores, etc in that rain water.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonSailer View Post
RAIN WATER would seem to be naturally clean and pure most places. Water gets dirty when it hits the ground etc. Air generally contains very few bacteria etc. Bird poop etc is the most likely source of contamination. If you have a dedicated rain catcher that is stored clean until needed I doubt that any treatment is required..most places. Clean water does not support the growth of bacteria or algea. Microbes require nutrients such as phosphorus and nitrogen. rain usually does not contain many nutrients. I mean really rain is close to being distilled water!!!!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook