SailNet Community - View Single Post - LA Decisions...
Thread: LA Decisions...
View Single Post
Old 08-02-2008
Banned

serenity4u2 is on a distinguished road
Thanks SD

Thanks SD... I appreciate your input. I have been coming to that conclusion regarding the enclosure. I have visited nonsuch owner sites and was really impressed with some of the enclosures some owners have made. Plus I really thought that Cocpit was also very large in size as well. I also like the seperate shower stall and head in the nonsuch. You seem to be confirming my belief that space on a Gemini would be superior for a LA..

As far as the nonsuch being older and out of production... I factored in the lower cost and having the extra money to refit the boat. Plus I have found that a canadian company is now making the nonsuch. New they are over 200K
and I am not sure if that is US or Canadian Dollars...

As far as the Gemini not having much teak... Thats OK with me. I do love the beauty of the wood while also enjoy the lower up keep.

Thanks for confirming my thoughts about the Catalina. I am thinking for equal space the boat starts getting in the 40 foot plus range.. I would like to keep the cost down. I read a thread on here (buying a boat).. The author states that the expense difference between a 30 foot boat verses a 40 foot boat can be twice the cost. He did not go into a detailed cost analysis...

Some concerns I have after reading about the Gemini would be..

1. The boats are built as is (to keep the cost down). I am not sure if the systems need additional upgrades to make them a good LA.. I am talking about electrical, plumbing and holding tanks.. Probably some other things that I am over looking since I am entering the LA life style.

2. The only reason these would be a concern for me is b/c I am not sure (my ignorance) if to make any modifications would require ripping the boat apart. That could be a real expense.. This would also cause me to consider if the boat systems are accessable for minor repairs. *** I am NOT saying they are not... I do not know.....***

3. B/C of the above, I would like to obtain knowledge so I would know what to look for in a used Gemini as well as what would be needed with a new purchase.

4. I crew on a '04 Hunter 33 and spend some weekend / week trips. That boat would be to small as a LA for me. Plus repairs (access) kind of worries me the way things are put together. (PLS ... I am not boat bashing) I am just expressing concerns. My thinking is that a LA will need a greater amount of repairs by virtue of greater usage... If my thinking is wrong by all means I stand corrected.

****SD**** I guess cold is relative to the person, lol.... Thinking New England and perhaps the great lakes makes the PNW look like Hawaii- lol... It is still not warm by my liking, lol.... Then I sailed San Diego and loved that climate years ago... In fact wife and job permitting, I would love to relocate later to South Bay SD, CA.... Thinking Chula Vista Marina... In the mean time HEAT is Vital for me...lol

Thanks for the input SD.....
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook