SailNet Community - View Single Post - J24 capabilities
View Single Post
Old 08-02-2008

Soonerschooner is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by nolatom View Post
There just seem to be a lot of them sinking during bad weather. Generally because the hatch and slides weren't in place during a broach or a knockdown while racing.

It's a day racer, not a coastal cruiser. Great to learn on, and to race round the buoys on. But each design has its limits. I'm not sure I'd welcome 15-20' swells unless the wave period was really long, and probably not even then. And while a lightweight racer might handle the conditions, the motion may be pretty quick and will tend to beat up the crew.
Yep, I got to thinking about this post earlier when I was picking up some groceries and the wave period would make a difference, and in HI they generally have long periods. It was purely a racing boat and everything was removed in it even though thats not per racing specs it was fine with the types of races we were in.

I wouldnt dream of sailing it in bad weather and I wasnt implying that you could load it up and cruise around in it just fine either. The posts I saw though implied that the boat wouldnt handle anything but a gentle breeze in a sheltered bay.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook