SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Perkins 4-154 crank pulley alignment

8K views 26 replies 10 participants last post by  sailingdog 
#1 ·
I have an issue with my crank pulley...Its out of alignment with everything else by 3/8 to 1/2".

It is a duel pulley and appears to have the forward pulley bolted to the rear by 4 bolts and the rear has its own set of 4 bolts outside the forward pulleys circumference...wish i had a picture but dont.

My question :...
Is this some sort of split cone type pulley that once the froward pulley is removed and then also the next outer set of 4 bolts that the pulley can be loosened un-wedged (for lack of a better term ) from the crank shaft keyway and slid back my 3/8 to 1/2" to realign everything up again? There is room to slide it back about that far..

All the manules and exploded views I found on the net dont show this paticular pulley/vibration dampener. And the yard mechanic I had take a look did not know.

#2 · (Edited)
Hmm... wish you had a photo. :)

#4 ·
Still- Pacific Power Products in Seattle is the Perkins distributor, maybe they can give you the name of a shop up in your area that works on Perkins ( ph. 800-962-7360). I know North Harbor Diesel in Anacortes seems to work on all engines, might give them a call, North Harbor Diesel. Not familiar with them myself so I can't help you.

John

#6 ·
There are pulleys around that use a tapered collar to fasten onto a shaft at any point chosen by the installer but I seriously doubt that anyone would have fitted one to an engine.

In the first instance, if the pulley is that far from the normal position it is unlikely that the oil seal journal will reach to the seal and you would be pumping engine oil out of the front of the engine.

In the second instance, the crank pulley normally serves the function of clamping the crankshaft timing sprocket in position. Without this function it would not be long before the sprocket eats away the key and causes a major calamity inside the timing cover

Niether of these functions would be served by the type of pulley described above. Those taper-clamp types are normally used on accessory shafts or electric motors. I've never seen one used on an engine.

Having said all that, I can't offer any advice on why the pulley would be that far out of position. Can you get the pulley assembly off? The solution may then be plain to see.

Andre

#7 · (Edited)
Sorry Guys ...its been a hectic week and week end...I will take a picture when i get to the boat hopefully sometime this week..I can stick my finger behind the pulley so i know it can go back far enough to line up..

A little more info

1) I bought this boat Last summer.
2) Only sailed her twice...been on the hard for 10 months back in water now
3) I have to believe this misalignment was missed by the mechanical surveyor as I dont see how the 3 or 4 odd hours I've run the engine could have done it.
4) There dosent appear to be any oil leaking or a sealing surface on the back of the pulley/dampener that rides in the timing gear cover.
5 ) I havent tried to do anything with it yet...no time and wanted to ask you all about it first anyway.
6) Its not real noticeable so easy to miss..the only reason i found it was the belt was squalling so I noticed it in my tighten procedure.

I have spoken with Trans Atlantic and with out a picture they could not realy help other then tell me it wasent stock...So I will post a picture hopefully later this week....Its sort of a bear to get at due to the closeness of the gen set so didnt feel like just ripping it apart if it wouldn't do any good.

Jrd22 thanks for the tip...I will call them tomorrow

#9 ·
You might just try tightening the center bolt.

It could just be working it self loose.

Rick
Rick ...There is no center bolt...the crank shaft penetrates through the pulleys by better then an inch.

#13 · (Edited)
It is possible that is a taper lock hub , they are very efficient, easily removable (adjustable also) and positive holding power if installed correctly. Find a millwright to identify what you have.
I think you Nailed it..!!!:D

Having the right name sure helps with the old computer search...mine has another pulley for the alternator bolted to the face so you cant see the construction of it or I could have figured it out that it obviously splits apart just as i surmised it might...Thanks man..:)

Ill try and do a little photo essay on the thing..just dont expect a MaineSail Quality show..OK...:eek:

Got to go get on a machine and make some money..thanks everyone..

Attachments

#14 ·
Dually noted Rick...will do thanks..

#15 · (Edited)
OK guys here is the reason for wanting to know how to post multiple pictures...thanks for all the help you gave me ..so here goes

An update on my pulley issue..

I started with this..

As soon as the belts were off I had this..

And you ask how I got it off in one piece if it looks like this...

It was because of this... Yes Timebandit you were exactly correct in your summation..The bolt had not only worked loose but completely backed out and the whole shootin match litterly fell off in my hands once the belts were off..Luckily no dammage to crank, timing gear,key or pulley..just the bolt...

So now they look like this..

All Bead blasted ,zinc chromite primed and almost ready for final paint and reinstall..You can see the remains of the crank seal from the front of the timing cover..It was a dickens to get out with the access I have...we're also having trouble cross referencing it.. but I wasent putting it back togather with out a new one..come to find out the Perkins 4-154 is sort of an odd ball engine...fits my personality I guess...Mine was actually built in Japan at the Mazda factory..
Hope this all works fist time photobucket user here..

#16 ·
Hey it worked!! thanks again guys...:D

#18 ·
Glad it ended up being relatively simple Still. Looks like you caught it just in time before it caused some damage. Good pics!

John
John...or got sent through the bottom of the boat...:eek:

#24 · (Edited)
Thought Id post an update on my pulley situation.

I finished getting every thing reinstalled today and fired her up...I thought Id get buy with the old belt as it was brand new but it has to much memory from being twisted so it wants to still twist..other then that everything is in perfect alignment once again.

Discovered a leak at the head/Thermostat housing junction though so now have to deal with that.

Also all my engine gages quit working since I moved the boat a month ago. I wiggled all kinds of connections and looked for a parted wire to no avail..will have to trace down the prob..Im thinking bad ground.

Kind of did a cool experiment I will also post to the Infrared temp gage thread.

Because I put in a new thermostat ( didn't even have one in the engine ) I left the Radiator style cap off so I could watch and add water as the engine burped..and also watch the fluid level when the T/S opened.. I took my IR meter and held it on the T/S housing as soon as it hit 179.8 degrees the T/S opened and the water level fell 1/2 in the heat exchanger...Id say thats pretty darn accrate both for the T/S and the IF gage.

Oh because I had no opratabal temp gage I monitored everything every couple min over a 30 min run time at 1100 rpm with the IR meter..the head temp stayed at 187 degrees...Oil pan 154..raw water 66..exaugst water 89.........Beer can 54......... Cool tool..If you don't own one get one..:)

Attachments

#25 ·
Still-

You gots to get a real photo sharing account, like on photobucket or flickr... so you can post some decent photos... that one is really horrid.

#26 ·
Or maybe its just the photographer..:p

It's just a pulley for cryin out loud...no ruined shapley skin..That would be criminal..:p ;)

#27 ·
Yeah, but it is better to be prepared in case you get a cute boat bunny... :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.