SailNet Community - View Single Post - Governor's cup Aug. 1st and 2nd
View Single Post
Old 08-03-2008

Sabreman will become famous soon enough Sabreman will become famous soon enough
We were late too. No real reason except that the air was light and I miscalculated how long it would take to get back to the line. Our strategy was to stay in mid-Bay to take advantage of the falling tide and it mostly worked until the wind died. I have a cool track plot from the nav showing us headed south until the wind died and the rising tide pushed us north. Then the wind picked up again and we went a mile south where it died and we were again pushed north. The plot looks like a oval. Since I had GPSNavX set to capture data at 1 minute intervals, I can see exactly when the wind died.

We saw a lot of boats pack it in in the early hours and I have to admit contemplating the possibility. Then I decided to put an empirical twist to it; if we determined that we were so far from the finish that assuming 5 kt of boat speed wouldn't get us there by 21 hours, then we'd bail out. It didn't happen, but not by much. Looking at the results, you weren't alone - 28% of the fleet was DNF. There's always next year!