SailNet Community - View Single Post - varnish alternatives
View Single Post
Old 08-03-2008

NauticalFishwife is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to NauticalFishwife
If water can get under a finish, it will over time pop that finish, be it Epiphanes, Schooner or Bristol finish. After several tries and keeping our toe rail varnished, I finally stripped it and let it gray out. Our cockpit cap rail I finally took completely off, stripped it, applied three coats of penetrating epoxy, rebedded it, replaced all bungs, cauked it and used Epiphanes. That was three years ago. It held up really well with three to four coats every year and I had it looking like glass... UNTIL this year!!! And now I have a problem I can't seem to figure out. I was doing my maintenence coats and could not get them to "hold" It was like oil and water... I've NEVER in my years of varnishing had this happen. Then it dawned on me that I had hired someone to wax the boat. They used a product that has a teflon like finish in it on the non skid. The ONLY thing I can figure out is that they got some of that on the teak cap rail. Then I came along and lightly sanded my teak for my coats of varnish and spread that teflon finish evenly over my teak. When I applied my varnish it flat refused to lay on. I sanded it down, wiped down, sanded again, wiped down and tried again. It's still not giving me the gloss finish I once had. So I'm taking a bit of a break from it and will try again in a few weeks by cleaning it, sanding it and trying again to apply the varnish.
Prepping is key to any finish but sometimes, like in this case ,you can do everything right and something goes wrong. Good luck with which ever finish you choose.

Martha
Calypso-Dickerson 37
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook